What is a flame? What is time, color, sleep, sound, or energy? These questions were asked by students around 11 years old and answered by real scientists in past years of The Flame Challenge™. The responses were then judged by some of those same students based on how well they understood and enjoyed the entries. Teachers, please consider engaging your class as judges in our real-life science contest!
Will Your Class Judge the Contest?
This competition promises to be a fruitful addition to your spring semester, putting your students in charge of their learning experience and giving them the opportunity to provide feedback on what they need (and want) from the learning process. By registering your class, you'll be kept up to date on news about The Flame Challenge™ and your students will be on our panel of judges for the contest.
Upcoming Events & Deadlines
We know teachers have a lot to juggle, so please take a few moments to review the following timeline to make sure you don’t miss any important deadlines.
- December 18, 2017: Registration opens for Scientists and Schools
- January 15 - April 6, 2018: Students Review Contest Entries on a Rolling Basis
- March 2, 2018: Last day for Scientists to enter The Flame Challenge™
- March 23, 2018: Last day for Schools to register to judge The Flame Challenge™
- April 6, 2018: Deadline for Schools to Submit their Scores
- April 20, 2018: Announcement of The Flame Challenge™ Finalists
- April 22 - May 4, 2018: Students Review Finalist Entries on a Rolling Basis
- May 4, 2018: Last Day for Schools to Vote on the Finalists
- May 11, 2018: Winners Notified & Invited to World Science Festival
- June 3, 2018 (1:30-2:30pm): Announcement of Winners at World Science Festival
Please browse our Past Challenges section to get your class excited to participate. You may also enjoy watching the video below to learn how to weave The Flame Challenge™ into your science lesson plans.