Follow-up After Your Workshop
These materials will be helpful in reinforcing your Science Communication Workshop experience following the workshop. The Alda Center materials anchor some of the main points you learned during the Distilling, Improvisation and Media Training sessions. The other readings may help you dive deeper and learn more about these topics. Please also check our LEARN section for follow-up online training opportunities.
Alda Center Materials
- Improvising Your Way Forward
- Distilling Tips
- Dealing with Complexity
- Storytelling Tips
- Storytelling Resources
- Media Interview Tips
- Recommended Books and Videos
- Public and Scientists' Views on Science and Society - Pew Research Center
- Public and Scientists Express Strikingly Different Views about Science-Related Issues - Pew Research Center
- Attention, All Scientists: Do Improv, With Alan Alda’s Help - The New York Times
- What Scientists Can Learn from Poets
- Tina Fey's Rules of Improv
- Scientists' Intuitive Failures
- Science Needs Voices
- NSF Public attitudes towards science - ch.7
Please take a moment to view some testimonials from our previous workshops. If you would like to provide feedback related to your workshop experience, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Clinical Advisor
Rob Milman, MD is a retired diagnostic radiologist and former partner in the Austin Radiological Association in Austin, Texas. Dr. Milman has a deep interest in promoting effective health communication and is the Senior Clinical Advisor at the Center for Health Communication at the University of Texas at Austin. He received advanced health communication training at the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science at Stony Brook University. Dr. Milman is the Medical Communication Coordinator for Merlin Works, an applied improv company in Austin, Texas.